We recognise that there are different kinds of challenges and biases that women face across the globe. With a focus on Women in Tech, we’re dedicated to providing the resources women need to successfully drive their career. Rather than a formal mentorship matching programme, which can be challenging in a population of New Zealand’s size, we’d like to create relationships that will provide women with the knowledge, experience, and perspectives that they need to grow and develop.
A Harvard study of 45 CEOs found that 84% of CEOs credited having a mentor relationship with helping them avoid costly mistakes and becoming proficient in their roles faster. Regardless of your level within the organisation, effective mentoring doesn’t just happen. It relies on you investing in yourself throughout the process.
We currently have 26% female representation within the tech sector in New Zealand, so we have a way to go to achieve diversity in regard to gender. We believe there needs to be an additional focus on supporting this group. This initiative links closely with the NZ Tech Women goal to help New Zealand women succeed in the tech sector by creating connections, increasing knowledge and supporting growth.
What are TechWomen Mentoring Circles?
Our mentoring circles are all about bringing people together to make new connections in their community.
We are facilitating groups of 6 mentees and 2 mentors to meet on a regular basis, in a safe and supportive environment, to discuss professional aspirations and challenges, with peers and senior mentors.
Who it is for:
Women business professionals.
Where it is:
We are currently running mentoring circles in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. Other regions will be added as and when resource allows.
What it is:
- Facilitated peer group mentoring
- Group discussion of non-technical aspects of career development (e.g. how to work with other people, how to deal with management, how to ask for a promotion)
- Career path planning and development
- Networking with new people
What it is not:
- Formal or structured
- One-on-one coaching
- Mentoring training (e.g. tools/techniques for mentoring)
- Technical training/coaching
- Mentoring for students (see our high school program – ShadowTech, for that)
Benefits of a Circle:
- Mentees benefit from multiple mentors
- Feedback from peers as well as a mentor will provide the mentee with more diverse points of view and a variety of insights
- It will create a support network with local women in technology
- The group context will create opportunities for teamwork/collaboration on issues
- A circle will create a conversational style of mentoring which is less formal than one-on-one
- A wide variety of topics will be covered
How to Apply
For our next intake, please register using the links below and complete the form before 15 March 2019.
Mentee registration is for women only. Mentor registration is open to both men and women.